Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Senior Moment

I guess it's important to laugh at yourself. Believe me, there are days I don't stop! I had one of those moments today. I thought I would share it because it might encourage some friends of mine. Especially Julie...she's older than I am, it will probably make her smile to know that I am showing signs of aging.


I am planning a softball tournament. This is not a major ordeal - it's only six teams. I was sending an email out to the team managers today and a wave of panic came over me. "Did I reserve the ball fields?" I knew that I had talked to the sports complex director, but I honestly could not remember reserving the date. And to make it worse, this is one of the few times that I did not write it down. (that noise you hear is a slight disturbance in the force)


So I argued with myself for a moment or two about how to handle this situation. Do I ignore this pang of fear and rely on my past history of organization or do I call and confirm? Now I realize for some of you this is no big deal. But for me this was new territory - I don't forget these kinds of details. Don't hate me 'cause I'm organized.


In the end I decided to make the call. I reasoned that it would be far better to make the phone call and allow the director to think me a fool, than to assume and end with me and 75 other softball players to be standing on the sidelines watching someone else use the fields that I forgot to reserve.


What I have learned is that with age comes wisdom - because when your mind slips, you have to work really hard to think through the options!

No comments: