Sunday, August 17, 2008

It's not vacation 'til someone throws up

I have spent this last week with my family. There is no place I would rather be. I love my job and enjoy the ministry that God enables me to do. But there is nothing like spending time with my wife and kids.

Our original plan was to travel down south and spend time with my mom in the mountains of Tennessee. For reasons beyond our control, and not all of them gas prices, that did not pan out. So we decided that we would spend some time around our own backyard.

Our week began with a trip to the lake. Some good friends of ours had rented a cabin at a nearby lake. Thier teenage daughter was celebrating her 17th birthday, so we went to join in the festivities. We pitched a tent in the grass, unfolded our lawn chairs, and slipped into our swimming suits. I love the lake!

Seriously, some of my best memories as a kid involve a lake, a boat, and skis. This week was no different. We spent most of our time being drug around the lake on a three-man innertube. Despite the bumps and bruises, and a broken blood vessel in the eye, it was fantastic! Thanks Joel!

We came home for a day, switched out our dirty clothes for clean, and headed out again. This time for the city. We took the kids to the family fun center - putt putt golf, video games, and sugary snacks! And of course there is the "ticket toys" that fall apart in the van on the way back to the hotel. Well worth ten bucks though. Then it was swimming at the hotel and a trip to the zoo before heading home again.

After we got back we took the kids to the car show here in own little burg. I like to look at old cars. I have never understood the desire to restore an old car - until yesterday. I saw the most beautiful car I have ever laid eyes on. A 1950 Oldsmobile 88 convertable. I looked online at some pictures when I got home and they did nothing to complement this car. They just looked like fixed up old cars. The one I saw was different, better somehow. It didn't look like an old car, just a great looking car, period. I'm going to have to check into that someday. Maybe when the kids are gone, and I can get one of those and a boat to pull behind it!

So today I was in the shower getting ready for church and I was thanking God for our week together. I even thought back to our vacations of recent years and considered the experiences we have had. Most involving puking children. No, really. Everytime we have traveled - anywhere - one of children gets sick. I can't explain it, it's just our reality. We are either pulling off to the side of the road, holding a child over a trash can in the airport, or passing a tupperware bowl to the back of the van.

This week was different. We went the whole week without any vomit. Well almost...we got to church this morning and my 5 year old said she felt car sick. She looked a little pale, but I really thought it would pass, now that we were out of the car and at the church. (visiting a friend's church even, not in the comfort of our own) Nope, I got her to the bathroom just in time for her to hurl into the trash can.

All in all a pretty clean experience compared to what we usually endure. Oh well, it's just not a vacation until...

Thanks God, for a week of rest and connection with family and friends.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

PB, glad you had a good week. Vacations are always suppose to be fun and getting a little rest. So glad you could join us at the lake and take the beating on the tube. We had a great time with you, Heather and kids,love your family. Looking forward to next year. Sounds like you did a little something for everyone.

Heather said...

I'm so glad that you guys were able to spend some good, quality, family time together.

Thank you soooo much for sharing some of that time with us! We had such a great time with you guys!