Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What can you learn from a child?

I had to do something yesterday that I hate doing. If you have children you understand this. I don't know of anything harder than disciplining your kids. The girls were playing "marriage" and one of them had a small stick with leaves on it as her "bouquet". One of her sisters decided that she would like the bouquet, but did not want to wait for the toss after the dance. She grabbed the stick and started running.

It became obvious that she was not going to be able to keep the bouquet when she noticed her sister hot on her heels yelling for the return of her flowers. Rather than admit defeat and surrender the stick, she began to pull the leaves from the stick and tear them into little bits. Adopting the "if I can't have it, nobody can" plan.

I sent the offending daughter to bed without a snack (a big deal in her world).

Later on, when we brought the other girls up to bed, I went into her room to pray with her. Our normal routine is to pray and then we tell secrets and give hugs and kisses. I was not expecting much from the routine this night because she was still blaming me for catching her, rather than feeling remorse over her own actions.

We talked and I gave her a big hug as I told her that I still loved her and that nothing could ever change that. Our "secrets" are us telling each other something that we like. I said, "I like it when you girls don't fight." (I know, but you take whatever chance you get to make your point)

Her reply came between sniffles and sobs, and in the smallest little voice she whispered, "I like you."

I pulled her a little tighter and gave her a big, long hug. As we sat together I understood that this is like what God feels when we accept his discipline. When we understand that he loves us and his correction is a blessing on us. And when we can respond to Him with love and repentence, his heart must swell something like mine did last night.

My child, don’t reject the Lord’s discipline,
and don’t be upset when he corrects you.
For the Lord corrects those he loves,
just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.
Proverbs 3:11-12

Thank you Lord for loving us enough.

1 comment:

Heather said...

OK Brett....that was an incredible post! It almost made me cry. Almost:)