Friday, August 8, 2008

They're pants, they just shrunk to my knees!

I spent some time this week in Tennessee. I lived for three years in New Mexico, so I've been south, but this was SOUTH. This was everyone talking with a drawl, grits served with your breakfast, Bo and Luke Duke south.

Maybe you have experience some of the finer points of the south, but for me this was quite an eye opener. I would like to share just one experience from my week and you can see for yourself.
On Wednesday afternoon my mom and I were sitting on the porch, because that's what people do in the south, I guess. It's hot in the summer and activity just seems risky. We had already determined that we would go to church later on that evening.

We had enjoyed a few moments of quiet when mom asks me, "Did you pack any long pants?" I really didn't think much of the comment. Most who know me will understand my dress code. If I am not working and it is warm out, I'm wearing shorts. So at first I didn't think anything of the question.

Then, in the silence that followed, I started to get it. (I can be a little slow sometimes) I am swinging on the porch watching all of the campers walk by. These campers are all in high school, but no one is wearing shorts. They all have jeans (boys) or ankle length skirts (girls).

I turned to my mom and said, "I'm going to have to wear pants to church aren't I?"

Mom replied that it would probably be a good idea. I stiffled my rebellious tendency and told her that I do not have any shirts other than t-shirts. Although, I pointed out, the one I was wearing did say God on it! (a concert t-shirt from Chris Tomlin) She said she didn't think that would be a problem. As it turned out I was the only guy in service without a button down shirt.

So after I changed we went to church. Since this was mom's last time at the church, at the end of the service the pastor invited her up front. They talked together in muted tones as they gestured my way and, sure enough, I was introduced and invited to join her in front of the congregation.

The men were called forward and they proceeded to pray for her and her transition back to Minnesota. This really was cool - it always is when people come together in your support. Deffinately one of the best experiences of the week.

So after the service all the rest of the congregation is coming up front to greet us and say goodbye to mom. About that time the pastor's wife comes around and looks me right in the eye and tells me, "it's okay, I like Chris Tomlin too."

It's good to know that for all their conservative tendencies, they still have their manners.

No comments: